What am I entitled to if Delta cancels my flight?
Delta Airlines, like all major carrier airlines, has to occasionally cancel flights due to various reasons, ranging from weather disruptions to operational issues. When this happens, passengers are entitled to specific rights and compensation. This article will outline what you are entitled to if Delta cancels my flight, as the airline never wants their passengers to face any loss if the cancellation is made due to the airline's fault.
Compensation for Delta Cancelled flight
The compensation you get from Delta depends upon many factors, including the time left for departure from the time of cancellation, flight class, fare type, distance covered by the airline, and more. The compensation offered by Delta is mentioned below:
Rebooking and Alternatives
- Alternate Flights: If your Delta flight is canceled, Delta will automatically rebook you on the next available flight to your destination without any extra charges.
- Alternate Airlines: In some cases, Delta may arrange for you to travel on another airline, especially if they don't have a suitable alternative flight.
- Refunds: You can initiate a refund for the unused portion of your canceled flight or for a complete refund in case the airline cancels it.
Assistance and Amenities
- Meals and Accommodation: Delta may provide meal vouchers and accommodation if you are stranded overnight due to a cancellation.
- Transportation: The airline should also arrange and cover transportation to and from the airport and the accommodation.
Compensation and Your Rights
- Compensation for Delays: While the U.S. Department of Transportation doesn't mandate compensation for flight cancellations, Delta may offer compensation people are entitled to if Delta cancels my flight as a gesture of goodwill.
- 24-Hour Reservation: If Delta cancels your flight within 24 hours of departure, you have the right to cancel your reservation and get a full refund.
- Notification: Delta should inform you of the flight cancellation as soon as possible through your contact information provided during booking. But if they fail to do so, then they might reimburse you for the expense you bear to reach the airport.
- Reason for Cancellation: You have the right to know the reason for the cancellation.
Frequent Flyer Points and Status
If you are a frequent flyer with Delta, your miles and status may be preserved, depending on the circumstances of the cancellation.
Check if you have travel insurance that might cover additional expenses incurred due to a flight cancellation, such as rebooking on another airline or hotel stays.
It's important to note that for weather-related cancellations, airlines like Delta are not required to provide compensation beyond rebooking or a refund.
Exceptions and Extra Considerations
- Canceled Connecting Flights: If your connecting flight is canceled and it's on a separate booking, Delta is not responsible for rebooking on the second airline.
- Third-party Bookings: If you have booked your Delta flight through a third-party website or travel agency, your rights and compensation may vary.
In conclusion, there are several compensations you are entitled to if Delta cancels my flight to ensure your travel plans are fully functional. Your rights include rebooking, refunds, meals, accommodation, and, in some cases, compensation. It's essential to be aware of these rights to advocate for yourself in the event of a flight cancellation and ensure you receive the appropriate support and benefits from the airline.
- How to Book a Flight for 30 People?
- How to Book Delta Airlines Group Travel?
- Can I Call Delta to Cancel my Flight?
- How to Call Delta to Change International Flight?
- How can I Get in Touch with KLM in UK?
- How do I Call Delta to Book a Pet?
- How Do I Contact LATAM Airlines at Buenos Aires Airport?
- Can I Get United Airlines Customer Service at the Airport?
- How do I Contact Norwegian Air from the US?
- Philippine Airlines Manage Booking